PLEASE NOTE: This is not a Vulnerable Sector Check and our checks are not often accepted for immigration purposes. Vulnerable Sector Checks must be done at your local police station.

Are your checks for pre-employment, licensing, or volunteering purposes?

Absolutely! Please make sure that your employer, licensing, or volunteer organization accepts third party criminal record checks. Once again though, this check is not recommended for immigration or VISA applying related purposes.

What is provided in our Criminal Record Check service?

MyCRC partners with Canadian police agencies to conduct Criminal Record Checks based on the Name and Date of Birth of an applicant. These searches may provide an indication of the existence of criminal convictions, for which a pardon/record suspension has not been granted, within the RCMP National Repository of Criminal Records. Any information discovered will be as the record exists on the date of search.

Results will also contain any disclosure of criminal history, as entered by you (the applicant). Checks resulting in a “Review” rating will also indicate accuracy of disclosure when provided by the individual.

Please note: Specific details of a criminal record conviction cannot be released without a fingerprint verification. Fingerprinting can be conducted by local police or accredited fingerprinting agencies. Please contact your local police for further information.

Information captured through the Criminal Record Check will NOT include:
Outstanding entries (ie. charged and wanted person information)
Convictions under Provincial Statutes
Convictions for which a pardon/record suspension has been granted
Convictions received under the Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA)
Cases where the applicant has been found guilty by reason of mental disorder

I know I have a Criminal Record. What will my results contain?

The existence of a Criminal Record will result in a “Review” rating. Full details of your criminal convictions are only available by submission of fingerprints as per RCMP/CPIC Policy, however, should you disclose previous offences in the course of completing the check, they will appear on the online result as “Confirmed” or “Incomplete” by police. As such, the requesting organization will be able to determine the accuracy and completeness of your disclosure.

Do you offer refunds if my employer does not accept your criminal record checks?

We do not provide refunds, please make sure your employer accepts criminal checks from third party services that do work with the RCMP. The RCMP will not refund us, so we can’t refund you.

How long does a criminal record check take?

Once you have completed your online application, the average turnaround is 15 minutes, but it may take up to 4 hours to receive your results via email, or by logging into your MyCRC account. However, there may be a delay if the Enhanced ID Verification section of your application was not processed successfully. We recommend submitting clear photographs of your government-issued IDs, to prevent any delays from occurring.

Why do I need to verify my identity?

Identity verification is required for all Criminal Record Checks in Canada. MyCRC.ca provides you with electronic and physical ID verification options along with detailed instructions. Once your identity verification is complete and received, your check will typically be processed within 15 minutes*. In the course of completing the check, individuals obtaining Criminal Record Checks for their own uses are presented with the option to verify their identity online using electronic identity verification. Individuals completing checks for a particular organization that invited them to MyCRC.ca are provided with the ID verification options approved for use by the requesting organization.

*Enhanced ID verification may fail if photographs are not clear. You will receive an email thirty minutes after submitting your application, that will request you to submit clear photographs of your ID, and selfie.

Can I perform a criminal record check on someone else without consent?

Absolutely not. Every criminal record check must be completed with the individual’s consent, and we must be able to verify the person conducting the criminal record check is the person behind the computer.

Under what authority is MyCRC, as a third-party provider, permitted to conduct Canadian Criminal Record Checks?

The results of our Criminal Record Checks are obtained from accredited Canadian Police services. MyCRC partners with police agencies across Canada to conduct Criminal Record Checks. As a division of Certn, MyCRC is a partner to jointly executed and approved agreements with these police agencies and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) to obtain and share criminal record information as permitted by the RCMP Canadian Police Information Centre’s (CPIC) Dissemination of Criminal Record Information policy. Those agreements have been reviewed and approved by the RCMP’s CPIC and the Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services (CCRTIS).

Additionally, Section 19 of the Dissemination of Criminal Record Information policy lays out the accreditation standards that a third party is required to fulfill before entering in any such agreement with a Canadian police service. Certn has met or surpassed those accreditation standards to the satisfaction of the partnering police agencies and the RCMP (CPIC and CCRTIS).

How can I trust that your service is secure?

We have a VeriSign Inc. website certificate using their industry-standard “secure socket layer” (SSL) technology. This SSL security encrypts our users’ sensitive information as it is typed, transmitted and received. Our data is stored offsite in a secure data centre where it is backed up and protected. MyCRC.ca complies with all federal and provincial privacy laws, with full details available at our website’s Privacy Policy. All MyCRC.ca employees undergo extensive personal screening and are bound by confidentiality agreements.

Will your report be mailed to my home address?

In order to provide our fast and efficient service, we send your report directly to the email address you’ve entered when submitting your application. We do not provide physical copies, so we recommend entering a valid email address to avoid any issues. If you have not received your report, and it’s been longer than the expected timeframe, then please contact support@certn.co.

What payment methods are available for my check?

Payment can be made securely online using Visa or Mastercard. Alternatively, if an organization requested that you complete a check for them they may incur the full or partial cost of your check.

An individual has provided me with printed MyCRC.ca results. How do I authenticate these results?

It is important to ensure the results you receive are authentic and have not been altered. Candidates and organizations are first encouraged to utilize the forgery-proof electronic sharing facilitated through their secure MyCRC.ca accounts. If your organization does not already possess a Certn account already it is quick and easy to do so at https://certn.co/sign-up/

If you are presented with printed results in some other fashion, and do not wish to create your free MyCRC.ca account to have the results shared electronically, please contact MyCRC.ca directly to verify the authenticity of the results. Contact our support team by phone at 1-888-910-7871, or by email at support@certn.co.

Will my Canadian Criminal Record Check help me in determining my eligibility for a Visa or entry into Canada or the United States?

No. Our Canadian Criminal Record Check will reveal records of criminal convictions for which a pardon/record suspension has not been granted, contained in the RCMP National Repository of Criminal Records accessed via the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC). The Canadian Border Service Agency (CBSA) and US Customs have access to a variety of other databases that may contain other information including but not limited to outstanding entries, convictions under Provincial Statutes, and pardoned offences. Please contact CBSA or US Customs if you need to determine your eligibility for a visa or entry into Canada or the United States.

How up-to-date is my record’s information?

The information on your MyCRC.ca profile reflects your criminal record at the time which the search was completed and will only be updated once you update your account by processing another Criminal Record Check. If you are currently going through the pardon/record suspension process, or have had activity resulting in an updating of your criminal record, there may be a delay before this information is available within the National Repository of Criminal Records. This delay is due to the time it takes to process and enter data into the National Repository. It may also be affected by the jurisdiction in which the crime occurred.

How do I clear my criminal record?

In general, criminal records are retained until the subject of the record is eighty (80) years of age with no criminal activity reported in the last ten (10) years. If you have any offences that you feel are old or minor and prevent you from employment opportunities, or you would like to clear your record, please visit Pardon Services Canada’s website to learn how to obtain a pardon/record suspension.

I believe the information is incorrect. How can I dispute it?

If you have had recent updates to your criminal record, there may be a time delay before the information is updated on the National Repository of Criminal Records. If you still would like to dispute your findings you should complete a Certified Criminal Record Check submitted via fingerprinting at your local police agency or an accredited private fingerprinting agency. More information can be obtained from your local police, an accredited private fingerprinting agency, or you can contact our support team.

If I have any questions, how can I contact you?

If you’d like assistance or support with your application, or have any questions about the service, please contact us at support@certn.co, or call us toll free 1-888-910-7871.

Our office hours are Monday to Friday, 8 am to 8 pm (EST).